Meet Sharks4Kids Regional Ambassador Linda Weiss
Updated: Aug 30, 2021
Linda is an avid diver and ocean lover. She has been sharing her passion for sharks with students at our events in Fort Lauderdale and assists our very own Dr. Derek Burkholder during his GHRI shark tagging trips. We are thrilled to have her on the team!
1. What is your favorite shark and why?
Tigers are my faves. Their markings are beautiful, especially on the younger ones. Their broad head and body shape are an awesome representation of strength, grace and athleticism.
2. What is one species of shark you would like to see/study/swim with?
Whale Sharks. Swimming with them is on my bucket list.
3. What inspired you to start diving and shark diving?
Seeing Jacques Cousteau scuba dive on TV when I was kid. I immediately said, “I’m gonna do that”. I have been interested in sharks since I can remember.
4. What is one of the coolest things you've seen while diving with sharks?
Watching an 8 foot Hammerhead slowly swim in from the blue, get within 20 feet of me, turn, eyeball me and return to the deep blue. Incredible, unforgettable experience. I can still feel the meeting of our eyes.
5. Why do want to teach kids about sharks?
Because kids are impressionable. By teaching them the facts we can reduce the fear and misinformation about these amazing and important animals. If the next generations grow up respecting and understanding sharks, the future has a brighter outlook for both sharks and humans.
6. What is one thing you wish everyone knew about sharks?
How important they are to the ocean ecosystem and the entire planet.
7. What is your favorite shark fact?
Hmm… good question. The fact they have evolved to reproduce in a variety of ways.
Ready to release a tagged shark during a GHRI shark research trip