Meet Artist and Creator of Sharking Daily Rosaly van Dansik
1. What is your favorite shark and why?he person behind Sharking Daily. I am originally from the Netherlands and I live in Bonaire - one of the Dutch Caribbean islands. I have a background in art and graphic design, and I am passionate about the ocean - which inspires me every day!
1. What is your favourite shark and why?
I love them all, but if I have to choose I would say my favorite shark is the wobbegong shark! They look so weird with their beard-like face. Almost like a Muppet.
2. What is one shark you would love to see/swim with?
Easy. I would love to swim with a hammerhead shark. I have seen many many other sharks, but still no hammer. I think if I see one I would cry, ha ha.
3. Why did you start creating shark art?
I started Sharking Daily in 2019, inspired by having lived in the Philippines and Australia for a few years. In the Philippines I worked as a volunteer in marine conservation, and in Australia I worked as a Divemaster on the Ningaloo reef. Back in the Netherlands, I really missed seeing sharks and other marine life on a regular basis. So I decided to bring marine life to me, through art, by committing to drawing one shark every single day for a year. I also felt it was important to make people understand sharks better. After completing one year, I am not nearly finished with my account. I’m not drawing a shark every day anymore, but I still post regularly, now also including shark facts mixed with new original artwork.
4. In your opinion, is art important for conservation?
In one word: YES. I feel like the media and the film world in general is giving sharks such a bad reputation, and I believe art can counter that. Art might not hands-on make a change like working in marine conservation day in-day out, but it can spark an interest and create awareness in people, which can lead them into taking action.
5. What message do you hope people take away from your shark art?
The sharks I have come across with always left me in awe. The more I saw them, the more I grew fond of them. With Sharking Daily, I hope to convey this feeling and contribute to giving sharks a good reputation. I purposely make bright, cute and colorful illustrations so it reaches more people, but there is a serious meaning behind it. I’m trying to make people care more about sharks and show them how fascinating these creatures are. So that more people will understand the urgency to protect them.
Rosaly has created some JAWsome coloring pages for us. Download HERE